Saturday, July 24, 2021

Credentials II

 

My Way

Regrets, I had a few
But then again too few to mention
I did what I had to do
 I saw it through without exemption

I did it my way too, but my way was wrong and I do regret that.

There is  a scene in the 1939 Wizard of Oz movie where the Wizard ( who remember is a charlatan) is asked to give brains to the Scarecrow (who remember already solved most of the intellectual challenges faced by Dorothy and her companions). The Wizard does this by giving the Scarecrow a diploma.

“Back where I come from, we have universities, seats of great learning  where men go to become great thinkers.  And when they come out, they think deep thoughts -- and with no more brains than you have.... But!  They have one thing you haven't got!  A diploma.”

I took this scene way too much to heart.  I also consider myself a Marxist, that is a follower of Julius Henry “Groucho” Marx. He once famously said that “I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”.  I thought that it was the man, not the club; the idea, not the diploma, that matters. “I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now”.  Because the system was one of caste I refused to participate and did not get the benefits of merit bestowed by that system.  Now that it is too late to get credentials, diplomas, social networking, etc. I have ideas but no one to vouch for them,  And people have to trust me before they listen to my ideas. If they don’t know me, then why should they trust me, no matter how good my idea is.  I should have gotten diplomas, certificates, memberships, joined clubs, etc., before I had an idea, if I expected anyone to listen to my ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment