Monday, February 12, 2024

Consistency

 

The Life I Lead

I run my home precisely on schedule
At 6:01, I march through my door
My slippers, sherry, and pipe are due at 6:02
Consistent is the life I lead! 

Be consistent. 

When faced with a road with too many cars for the capacity of that road, the expectation is thar the government which operates the road will excpnd the capacity of that road.  The expectation is not to eliminate some of the cars around me. Why they when faced with an immigration system where there are too many immigrants for the processing system is the response that government should eliminate immigrants, not increase its ability to process immigrants? To be consistent why is the correct response increasing supply in one case and decreasing demand in the other case. Shouldn’t it be the same response in both cases?

But understand when there is an attempt at a joke. I remember a public meeting when I was asked a question about how to deal with traffic congestion. I factiously tried to emulate Swift’s Immodest Proposal by saying that people should shoot the tires of vehicles that they did not recognize. I remember then being asked without any sense of irony where would one get ammunition for one's gun and could one get exemptions from our state’s gun laws. I learned to be consistent in my humor too!

No comments:

Post a Comment