Thursday, January 13, 2022

Filibusters IV

 Green Eggs and Ham

I do not like them in a house.
I do not like them with a mouse.
I do not like them here or there.
I do like them anywhere.
I do not like green eggs and ham.
I do not Like them, Sam-I-Am.

What does Green Eggs and Ham have to do with legislation?  

The Senate is supposed to be the World’s Greatest Deliberative Body. As such, debate on legislation should continue as long as that debate continues the deliberations on that legislation.

I am a fan of Dr. Seuss.  I admired the dramatic reading of Green Eggs and Ham that Jesse Jackson did on  Saturday Night Live. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1mqg4C0aw.   However Senator Ted Cruz’s reading of Green Eggs and Ham had no purpose in the debate over Obamacare except to block any discussion of Obamacare.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RFclDjDYI4  It did not demonstrate the  Senate to be the World’s Greatest Deliberative Body.

If the purpose of the filibuster is to block the passage of legislation, it is not contributing to the debate, it is blocking the legislation.  It is possible to like Green Eggs and Ham and dislike the filibuster. 


No comments:

Post a Comment