Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Hope

 

Go The Distance

And I won't look back, I can go the distance
And I'll stay on track, no I won't accept defeat
It's an uphill slope
But I won't lose hope, 'till I go the distance
And my journey is complete

If there is any chance of victory, then go the distance.

The Washington Generals, also known as the Boston Shamrocks, the New Jersey Reds, the Baltimore Rockets, the Atlantic City Seagulls, the New York Nationals, the International Elite, the Global Select and the World All-Stars were the barnstorming opponents in each Harlem Globetrotters exhibition “game”.  They are supposed to lose.  Winning against the Globetrotters is like killing Santa Claus. 

The Generals have “lost” more than 15,000 games against the Globetrotters but they have won somewhere between 3 and 6 times. The records are spotty, but they did record wins in 1954, 1958 and 1971.  Therefore the “odds” are more than 3 in 15,000, but they are not zero.  A Tortoise can seldom beat a Hare, but as in Aesop’s Fable, sometimes it happens.  The Generals play on even though the odds are small, they are not zero. Even when the game is rigged, they won’t lose hope.  They have gone the distance.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment