Monday, June 5, 2023

Affirmative Action II

 

Working Class Hero

There's room at the top they are telling you still|
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill
If you want to be like the folks on the hill
A working class hero is something to be
A working class hero is something to be

Should the working class be opposed to Affirmative Action?

I have degrees from two of the Ivy Leagues. But, since I come from a working-class background, I could not afford tuition at either of these Ivy League Universities. I was only able to attend because of merit based scholarships.  I was a National Merit Scholar in high school and properly nerdy enough at my undergraduate college that I earned merit-based scholarships to graduate school.  This must mean that I am FOR a merit-based system and OPPOSED to affirmative action,  correct?  Nothing could be further from the truth.   https://dbeagan.blogspot.com/2022/08/affirmative-action.html

Man is a group animal.  In the words of John Donne, “No Man is an Island”. It is the group that matters, not each individual in that group, whether that group is a club, a college, or a nation.   A merit based system is good for the individual and should be supported, but Affirmative Action is for the group, including every individual in that group, including the working class.

No comments:

Post a Comment