Saturday, September 25, 2021

Debt Ceiling

 

Tomorrow

When I'm stuck a with day that's gray and lonely
I just stick out my chin and grin, and say, oh

The sun'll come out tomorrow
So you gotta hang on 'til tomorrow
Come what may

Tomorrow, tomorrow
I love ya tomorrow
You're always a day away.

It is shame that not everyone believes in tomorrow. 

“Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said if Democrats “want to tax, borrow and spend historic sums of money without our input, they’ll have to raise the debt limit without our help.”(NBC News  , Sahil Kapur, NBC News, Sept 25, 2021)Recommended

Debt is not inherently bad, despite what Republicans may say.  I have lived in my home since 1981 because I took out a mortgage ( long since paid off, but I was able to live in the house while I paid off that mortgage).  I have taken out loans to pay for all of my cars ( long since paid off, but I was able to drive while I paid off the loan.).  I took out student loans to attend college, (but I was able  to work and use those degrees while those loans were paid off). I took out loans for my children to attend college but those are also long paid off.  The point is debt that is an investment in the future is never bad.  I imagine that many Republicans own some corporate bonds, which is after all corporate debt, so just holler Emerson at them ( "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" and boy are they foolish.) 

The debt limit needs to be raised because the spending that has already been approved can not be paid by the taxes that have been collected. ( and do remember that Tax Cut and Jobs Act of 2017!).  This is not about new taxes or new spending.   It is about old spending and old taxes.

 One of my favorite scene in the movies is the bank run in It's a Wonderful Life.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPkJH6BT7dM&t=42s.

Don't sell out to Mr. Potter.  I don't want to live in his slums. I want to invest in the future and I will get by on $17.50 as Mrs. Davis did in It’s a Wonderful Life.    Belief in the future used to be a bi-partisan issue.  Do Republicans really wanted to cede the future to Democrats.

No comments:

Post a Comment