Monday, October 10, 2022

Liberals

 

You Don’t Own Me

You don't own me
Don't try to change me in any way
You don't own me
Don't tie me down 'cause I'd never stay

It is NOT being conservative to own the liberals.

My son’s POSSLQ, Person of the Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters, says that I am the biggest liberal she has ever met.  I found that shocking because I always thought that I was a conservative.  I believe in government but I think that it should be limited, not because it is evil, but because it is by necessity consists of people and according to Lord Acton’s dictum " power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely".  I also believe that the government has a responsibility to act on behalf of the group, society, but it should carefully consider before undertaking any actions because of the Law of Unintended Consequences.  I also do not understand any exclusions from the group. My math background tells me that any growing society has to increase its variance, whose square root is standard deviation, not decrease deviation.  It also tells me that the future has to be worth less than the past in order for growth and not decay.

That makes me a conservative in the vein of Mitt Romney, not Matt Gaetz.  Like the voters in my home state of Massachusetts, I am most comfortable with a Democratic legislature and a Republican executive.  ( that is real Republicans who favor a republican form of government and not ”republicans  In Name Only” who are really authoritarians.)  If someone knows how to Razzle Dazzle, as much as I enjoy being Razzle Dazzled, I assume that they are using that Razzle Dazzle to distract me, not convince me.  Liberal and conservative alone is not a useful characterization.  It is much more nuanced than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment