Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Choices

 

I’m Putting All My Eggs in One Basket

I'm putting all my eggs in one basket
I'm betting everything I've got on you
And, I'm giving all my love to one baby
Lord help me if my baby don't come through

This might be a good strategy in love, but it is NOT a good betting strategy.

We are warned not to put all of our eggs in one basket.  The reason being that if anything happens to that basket, then we will have no eggs.  IOW, Henry Ford’s famous choice for the color of a Model T in the 1920s, “Any color, as long as it is black”, is not a choice at all.  It might have been good for Ford’s assembly process since black paint dried faster, but it was not necessarily good for his customers. The company store in the song Sixteen Tons is also not a choice since you either bought at the company store or did without. In both cases having only one choice is putting all your eggs in one basket.

Having a choice between two things is also not a choice.  Game Theory proves that having at least three choices is necessary, https://dbeagan.blogspot.com/2021/05/tough-but-fair-beats-always-being-nasty.html assuming that the parties/players offering those choices are not colluding.  The song should be “I’m Putting All My Eggs in THREE Baskets”

No comments:

Post a Comment