Saturday, March 12, 2022

Collaborations

 

My Funny Valentine

But don't change a hair for me
Not if you care for me
Stay little valentine stay
Each day is Valentine's day

My Favorite Things

When the dog bites,
When the bee stings,
When I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things,
And then I don't feel so bad.

Storytelling can be a collaborative art

 I am including two song lyrics in this blog, not because the lyrics are a focus, but because My Funny Valentine was by Rodgers and Hart and My Favorite Things was by Rodgers and Hammerstein.  While the lyricist were by different, they both collaborated with the same musician, Richard Rodgers.  I should have known, but did not know, that this was the same person into later in my life.

The performance of a song is not by the singer, the musicians, the lyricists, or the composers. It is a collaboration by each of these artists.  The arts can be collaborative.  Shakespeare was a member  of the the Lord Chamberlain's Men who built and performed at the Globe Theatre.  The Greek Chorus was a part of the plays of Sophocles.  We go to see an orchestra or a play.  The end credits of motion pictures can list hundreds of people.  While some artists may be individuals, many more contribute to a collaboration.  Storytelling, the arts, can be collaborative.The Oscars fittingly end with the award for the Best Picture.  The highlight of SAG awards is the award for the best cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment