Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Adult Children

 

You’ve Got A Friend in Me

You've got a friend in me You've got a friend in me You got troubles, I've got 'em too There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you We stick together and see it through 'Cause you've got a friend in me You've got a friend in me

Adult children are our friends

Adult children are full members of a group, whether that group is a family, a clan, a tribe, etc.  They can not be full members if they are the property of any other member of the group ( i.e. their parents).  Looking at the words in the song, there is nothing that I as a parent wouldn’t do for my children.  We will stick together and see it through.  What is mine is theirs.  But that same should be true for any friend.  Yes, I will still treasure the memories and honor of being their parent, but that is looking backward.  Looking forward, I have to accept that as adults they are no different than anyone else in my group and they hopefully will be my friends.  Vive La Fraternite.

No comments:

Post a Comment