Saturday, July 27, 2024

Pardon Me!

 

Goin’ Home

I'm goin' home, my baby
I'm goin' home, to see my baby
Goin' home, my baby
Gonna see my baby, see my baby fine
Take my baby, take my baby mine
Gonna tell your mama how good that love of ours 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee20LF-bY6U

And let’s get it correct this time.

In 1968, the Democratic party had a presidential nominating convention in Chicago, the incumbent President, Lyndon Johnson, chose not to run. His Vice President, Hubert Humphrey,  was forced to endure a brutal primary season that divided the party, the delegates, and the country. That incumbent Vice President selected as his running mate Senator Muskie and lost the election to the Republican nominee, Richard Nixon. In 1972, the year of Watergate, the Democratic nominee for president was George McGovern and Hubert Humphrey declined to serve as his running mate. Richard Nixon won a virtually unprecedented percentage of the electoral vote. (Prompting the “Don’t Blame Me I’m from Massachusetts” bumper stickers when Richard “I am not a crook” was proven to be a liar). While Richard Nixon was pardoned by Gerald Ford, his second Vice President, (let’s not forget that Spiro Agnew, Nixon’s first vice President, had to resign because he was caught accepting bribes). You need not accept a pardon if you are innocent. He was saved from being the worst President in modern times by Donald Trump, a convicted felon, an adjudicated rapist, a liar, and a fraudster.

Thus it is fitting that the current incumbent present has chosen not to seek reelection. And that the incumbent Vice President will also be selected as the Democratic nominee of President at a return to a national convention in Chicago. Given that Chicago in 1968 was vital to the election of Richard Nixon, it is fitting that Chicago in 2024 will also be pivotal to the defeat of Donald Trump. Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz was correct. There is NO place like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment